Helena Andersson, SWEDEN: “I had five great weeks in Riga! I lived in the family which I can really recommend! It is a great way to practise speaking in real everyday life situations and you also get a feeling of having a home if you are staying for a long time. I will try to come back to study more as soon as possible”.
A Host Family Stay is your ideal accommodation choice if you wish to experience the Russian daily life outside the classroom and practise the language in an informal atmosphere. Host families live within easy access of the school and city centre and are usually located either in Riga or the seaside city of Jurmala.
What does a typical Russian host family look like? In some cases, this term does not mean a traditional married couple with children. When selecting host families, above all else RLA Durbe looks for someone who is sociable, likes to meet new people and can give you a warm welcome during your linguistic stay. As a general rule the host families will talk to you during meals and are patient and understanding. As a result of your host family’s hospitality, interest and attentive atmosphere, you will be able to adapt more effectively to your new linguistic and cultural environment.
The school has approved all of the offered host family’s accommodation. Families and their individual living specifics are personally known to certain staff members responsible at RLA Durbe. The standard of the families is monitored by regular check-ins, as well as questionnaires you receive at the beginning and at the end of your course. Four options of living conditions are available: a single or twin room, breakfast only or half board.
Price for the Host Family accommodation (per week)
- Standard Host family, single room with breakfast – 180 EUR, with HB (breakfast and dinner) – 240 EUR per week.
- *Executive Host family, single room with breakfast – 250 EUR, with HB – 310 EUR per week.
Accommodation services, arrival transfer (for course participants). Accommodation in host families is calculated from Sunday to Sunday. In case you wish to arrive earlier or depart later than Sunday, a specific charge for the extra night is applied.
* Executive Host Family – offers high-quality accommodation either within walking distance from the school or (at maximum) 50 minutes by public transport. Priority for placement at Executive Host family is given to the students who choose Intensive or Individual (at least 20 lessons per week) courses.
- Extra night with breakfast only – 38 EUR; HB – 46.50 EUR.
- Executive host family extra night with breakfast – 50 EUR; HB – 58.50 EUR.
- Private bathroom supplement with WC – 20 EUR per week